Packaging for Storage
- Protect your breakable / valuables with bubble wrap or clear newsprint type paper.
- Use sturdy cardboard boxes (secured on bottom) similar sizes and fill to prevent collapsing during stacking/storage.
- Avoid overloading- use small boxes for heavy items books, files, dishes – large boxes for light items, blankets, toys, decorations
- Label contents room-by-room and “Fragile”. Makes unpacking easier.
- Protect bedding and clothing in Plastic bins. Makes a great moisture resistant storage container.
- Old sheets and towels make excellent padding to protect furniture.
- Place items on pallets /tarps to protect from changing temperature of concrete floors.
- Keep furniture and cardboard boxes away from direct contact from floors and walls.
Appliances and Furniture
- Pack upholstered items in sealed bags.
(item should be very dry) or humidity during spring and summer can cause condensation, leading to mildew.
- Upholstered furniture /mattresses should be kept off concrete floors.
- To save space, remove legs from beds and tables. Keep all fasteners in one accessible container.
- Fridges and freezers should be clean and dry. (Free of any food) Doors should be secured slightly ajar, to prevent mildew. Freezer chest can be used for storage.
- Store electronics in original boxes if possible.
- Clean out ovens and BBQ’s. attract rodents
Do’s and Don’ts of Storing
- Do secure your unit with a Disk Lock.
- Do remove batteries, if kept seasonally, to prevent damage and leaking.
- Do drain fuels from machinery: snow blowers, lawnmowers . . . before storing.
- Do inquire about insuring your belongings. Our insurance only covers buildings. Not contents.
- Do not ever store explosives or flammables: paint, fuel, solvents etc.
- Do not store living plants or animals in your unit.
- Absolutely No Foods or Drinks are permitted to be stored. Includes dog, cat, bird, and horse feed.
- Do not fasten anything to the unit walls.
- Absolutely No smoking in units.
- Don’t tell strangers where you’ve stored your belongings.
- Be aware of other tenants, who may be looking in.
- Don’t leave garbage/items outside of unit. Please take it with you.
- This is a dormant space, for storing only. It is not for conducting business or as a repair shop.
- Do not disturb the peace; keep noises down to a minimal. No loitering
- Have your payments in on time!
Planning Your Space
- Start with placing items you won’t need to the back.
- Make a walkway, if room allows for easier access.
- Place less valuables to the front. Keep valuable out of sight.
- Place items you may need to access, closer to the front.
- Make an inventory list/photos and keep it in a save place with spare lock key.